Between testing and then making all these recipes for photos, we end up with a lot of food around this house. And recently, I’ve been on a bit of a dessert binge. It’s just the two of us, with an entire pie or cake sitting on the counter, tempting us. We succumb… often. So it is a happy day when a healthy, quick, delicious meal comes around. One that you can throw into a weekly menu plan whenever you need to feel smug about your choices.
This recipe also has the advantage of including toasted garlic breadcrumbs – one of my all time favorite things. Is that weird? I eat the extras of this right out of the bowl with zero shame. Make extra, keep it in the fridge, reheat it for a couple seconds in the microwave and sprinkle it on you salad or grilled meat, or veggies – you will NOT be disappointed. The breadcrumbs add crunch and a salty, buttery kick without weighing down the final dish. You can have a tablespoon or two without guilt.
I really like cod – I like the big flakes and the texture – but you can use any fish that you want for this. Haddock, Tilapia, even Salmon would work. Feel free to play with the herb that you use and the proportions. This recipe will serve four at lunch or with several sides or two people for dinner.
Crunchy Roasted CodCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
You can stretch this to 4 servings with the addition of several sides.
1 1/2 Lb Cod Fillet (565g / 20oz)
3 Tbl Olive Oil (45ml)
1/4 C Parsley or Other Tender Herb; Chopped Fine (15g / .5oz)
3 Tbl Unsalted Butter; Melted (33g / 1.5oz)
1 Lg Garlic Clove
1 C Plain Panko Breadcrumbs (90g / 3.2 oz)
1/4 C Parmigiano; Coarsely Grated (28g / 1oz)
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Blot Fish Dry and arrange in the Baking Dish. Depending on the dimensions, you might need to trim the fillet. Tuck the thin parts under so that the fillet is roughly the same thickness.
- Drizzle with Olive Olive Oil and Season with Salt and Pepper. Sprinkle with half of the parsley or herb your choice.
- Place the Melted Butter in a Medium Sized Mixing Bowl. Using a micro-plane, grate the Garlic into the Butter and stir to combine. You can mince the garlic if you don’t have a microplane. Stir in the remaining Parsley / Herbs.
- Add the Breadcrumbs and Cheese, tossing to combine. Distribute in an even layer over the fish.
- Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes until the Breadcrumbs are golden brown and the fish reaches 145° internally.
- Serve hot with Steamed or Roasted Vegetables for maximum smugness.
2 Quart Baking Dish
Measuring Cups and Spoons or Food Scale
Medium Glass Mixing Bowl